Isle of Wight Nostalgia - Bus Timetable Covers
Southern Vectis have livened up their bus timetables with a series of witty cartoons. They are best understood by residents or holidaymakers to the Island - both groups will recognise the truth behind many of the jokes to be found on each timetable cover! Many thanks to Southern Vectis and their cartoonist!
Click each year below to see the cartoons.
- 1989 Fun & games at Ryde - I think this was the first timetable in the series. The yachting marina has not been built.
- 1990 The new Yarmouth Bridge causes some amusement.
- 1991 The year of the 'crop circle' mystery.
- 1992 Godshill, loved by holidaymakers and seekers of cream teas!
- 1993 Cowes, the yachting centre of the world where even the dogs wear yellow wellies.
- 1994 Arch Rock, a famous chalk 'stack' at Freshwater, collapses.
- 1995 Newport nightmare! The new traffic system on the site of the old railway is re-designed!
- 1996 An airport theme at Bembridge.
- 1997 Chaos at Shanklin Old Village. Note the thatched bus stop. The highway authority appear to have been experimenting with new road markings!
- 1998 Holiday chaos in Ventnor!
- 1999 A fixed link to the mainland - this says it all!
- 2000 Filming in Ryde brings travel to a standstill.
- 2001 A new dinosaur museum is being built in Sandown ....
- 2002 Road repair mania hits the Island (note the lower price than in 1997)
Home | Introduction | Contents | Photos |
Maps | Links | Quiz | History | Famous Islanders | Geography | Geology | Email
Books | Site Visitors | 1948 Guide |
News | Phonebook | FAQ | Memories | Tunnel | What's on | Author | My other sites