INVECTIS Websites - author, Dave Parker
My name is Dave Parker. I'm responsible for building several websites -
you've probably linked here from one of them. I started my first site in 1998
after getting my first internet ISP just because it was something I was keen to
find out how to do. It has turned into an addictive hobby! I now maintain a
number of sites, one of which averages over 100 visitors a day and generates a
great deal of interest & comment. I'm often asked how I find the time. The
answer is that they have developed gradually and I still find lots of time to
spend with my family and on my other interests. So what are my other interests?
- I have always been interested in photography and have often been told I have
a good eye for a decent picture. While I love gadgets, I have always liked
complicated cameras in 'manual' mode, rather than automatic versions. I have
had an old Pentax KX which I used for many years. I have now become a digital
camera addict! Building internet sites has given me the chance to share some
of my photography with a wider audience. I hope you enjoy it.
- I cycle, mainly off road along a local disused railway track. I rode in the charity London to Brighton event in 1996 and 1997.
- I enjoy touring with my caravan in the UK. Being a gadget fanatic, my van is wired up with numerous 12 volt accessories guaranteed to flatten my battery within a few hours!
- Model building and flying
- I'm not normally good at building things however I have built a remote controlled glider and several rockets. I don't get much time to fly the glider (it takes a lot of practice);
and I enjoy launching my collection of rockets. They fly using solid fuel motors and are usually recoverable. It may sound dangerous but it's not if care is taken. I belong to a flying association which has stringent safety rules as well as extensive 3rd party insurance.
- I'm interested in all aspects of radio. I have learned Morse code, received and decoded packet radio
using my old spectrum computer, and I enjoy scanning the airways!
- I enjoy Scrabble, chess and snooker.
- Bus driving / museum volunteer
- I drive a genuine 1909 vintage bus in my capacity as a volunteer at Amberley Museum.
If you are ever in West Sussex make sure you visit this museum, the County's
best kept secret!
- I enjoy a wide range of musical styles from rock to classical. I also play a keyboard (but perhaps this should not be categorised under music)!
- Together with a few friends, I am involved in local firework displays. I have some behind-the-scenes photographs of the 1999
to 2002 firework display setup
for a local school display as part of my Henfield website.
- I enjoy my garden. I would probably enjoy gardening as well if I had the time. Perhaps if BBC TV's Charlie Dimmock would come around to help....
- I'm interested in many aspects of the weather. I am a fellow of the Royal Meteorological Society. I especially enjoy classifying (unusual) cloud types and predicting the weather from them. See some of my cloud photography.
- I've been interested in computing for many years. I built a Sinclair ZX81 in nineteen-seventy something and never looked back. I've spent many happy year's
programming in APL a very efficient and interesting language. Check out the link!