Osborne House was the favourite residence of Queen Victoria, and was where she died. It was designed by the Prince Consort in the style of an Italian Villa. It is in keeping with the beautiful gardens which slope northwards to the Solent. The house was presented to the nation in 1902 by King Edward VII. It is now used partly as a convalescent home for naval & military officers. The state apartments and the Swiss Cottage were where the royal children were taught small-scale housekeeping. These are open to the public. The Railway had a station at Whippingham once dedicated to royal visits but later open to the public. The Havenstreet Railway currently stops at Wootton, one station short of Whippingham.